The RequirementsTo meet the basic requirements for this role you must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the opportunity of Sales Engineer, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in a technical field such as Engineering, Industrial Technology, or Construction Technology.
- Significant experience (typically 3-7 years) selling and/or providing technical / engineering sales support, ideally with heavy industrial equipment and applications (e.g. gas compressors -- natural gas, air, nitrogen, helium, etc., pneumatics, pumps, filters, storage tanks, etc.); experience selling and/or supporting capital equipment is preferred.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and familiarity with aspects of mechanical, civil and electrical engineering.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to support the RFP process by reading and understanding technical specifications and developing technical write-ups for proposals.
- Strong computer skills including experience with MS Office Suite applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and intermediate to advanced Excel skills; experience with MS Project is a plus.
- The ability to read electrical and other drawings and schematics, as well as create sketches and drawings in a program like AutoCAD, MS Publisher or similar.
- A valid driver's license and insurable driving record.
- Outstanding interpersonal verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work with prospects and customers at all levels from smaller "mom-and-pop" shop owners to CEOs of large corporations.
- Professionalism, confidence, and the ability to earn trust.
- Learning aptitude; ability to learn new processes, tools, and methods quickly.
- Solid analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivation with the ability to achieve goals and solve problems independently.
- Good multi-tasking skills to keep multiple projects running simultaneously.
Pictured: You will play an important role in our efforts to build out America's Natural Gas Highway, supporting fleets from coast to coast and border to border.
At Clean Energy, we are constantly expanding our pipeline of fueling station engineering and construction projects in order to support our mission to build a natural gas infrastructure across North America. Station projects will range from private facilities sited at customer locations to public-use facilities. The projects involve installing rebar, pouring concrete, installing underground piping as well as above-ground compressors and storage vessels, constructing canopies, installing high voltage wiring and more. But before we can break ground, we need to close the deal and ensure the fine details are all in place. Sales cycles can be long -- 1-3 year -- and complex. You work can help shorten the sales cycle provide understandable answers to complex issues.
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Sales, as Sales Engineer, you will support the sale of company-owned and customer-owned fueling stations throughout the Eastern and Central U.S. You will partner with members of our Sales group and provide technical expertise to inform and educate customers. Often this will involve differentiating Clean Energy's technology and approach from that of our competitors. While you won't be responsible for closing the business yourself, you will leverage your outgoing sales persona to effectively promote the company and our products throughout the sales cycle.
More specifically, you will provide front-end technical support for the Sales and Engineering teams, including:
- Accompanying Sales on presentations to answer technical questions.
- Providing input on station design (including the location of equipment, where and how vehicles will be fueled, confirming that utilities meet the needs of the application, etc).
- Sizing and specifying equipment to ensure it meets the customer's fleet needs and then helping procure the equipment. Equipment at these sites includes everything from compressors to fuel delivery systems to point-of-sale terminals.
- Providing cost estimates including construction, engineering, equipment and internal costs
- Reviewing drawings executed by Engineering to ensure they meet the customer specifications.
- Supporting the RFP process, including reading technical specifications and developing descriptions.
- Responding to questions via phone, email, and from the Sales team.
- Facilitating handoff from Sales to Engineering to Project Management to turn the project quote into a reality, including kickoff meetings and ensuring the correct information travels from one team to the other
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: the solid waste and environmental services industries are "early adopters" of natural gas vehicles because natural gas is cheaper, cleaner, domestically abundant, and it works.
Why Clean Energy FuelsProfessional development
Even if you have extensive experience with natural gas compressors, capital equipment, and/or construction, we're fairly certain you'll add new knowledge and experience to your resume. We are in a new space involving materials, processes and technologies that even construction industry veterans haven't worked with before.
In addition to on-boarding and company training, you will have the opportunity to work closely with your supervisor, first shadowing him, and then working as he observes and supports you. We will ensure you have the tools and training to be successful.
Autonomy and variety
This is a role where you'll often work virtually from your home office and enjoy a good deal of autonomy in planning many of your days. You'll enjoy variety in the projects and in the people with whom you'll work...from job sites to the boardroom and from interacting with maintenance personnel to CEOs, no two days will be exactly the same.
Proven strong leadership
You will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), the predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987. Our executive team's profiles can be viewed at CleanEnergyFuels.com.
Green standard for sustainability
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. But did you also know that natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions? Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
In addition to a competitive salary and performance-based annual bonus, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with discretionary company match, paid time off, mileage and expense reimbursement and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will need the technical background to support the Sales in order to meet customers' needs, and professional credibility to answer questions in a way that instills trust and confidence. You should be a self-motivated and independent individual who enjoys the flexibility to manage your own schedule. While you will need to know when to call on outside support from your supervisor or the group to solve issues, you should have the mechanical ability and deep understanding of the technology so that you will remain primarily self-sufficient.
You should be comfortable interacting with people at all levels, from maintenance technicians to board-room executives, and you'll need a knack for communicating highly technical information effectively to non-technical audiences. Additionally, you'll need to be highly organized, effectively managing multiple activities with competing priorities and deadlines.
Our best sales engineers enjoy the sales process and take pride in facilitating the close, even if they aren't closing the deals themselves. Often, it's the sales engineer that provides customers with the last data needed to facilitate a decision.