Position DetailsYour Qualifications
To meet the basic qualifications for the Senior Designer opportunity, you will have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
- A bachelor's degree in a specialized engineering discipline (Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Architecture) or related field.
- 2+ years of related design engineering experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. We may also consider new graduates with outstanding internship or similar professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge AutoCAD (latest version), REVIT (or equivalent 3D modeling software), CADWorx, and AutoTURN, with the ability to create engineering design plans using the various programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- Understanding of engineering principles with the ability to understand company standards, customer contract requirements and related specifications.
- A strong understanding of the commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the construction industry.
- Ability to read, understand and learn safety codes and specifications applicable to assigned projects to ensure adherence to established practices.
- Strong analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills including a proactive approach and the ability to interact effectively with others and ask questions as needed.
- Ability to serve as a strong team member.
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering and Construction or the Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for designing Compressed (CNG) and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) stations by using Engineering concepts and principals. As Station Designer, you will be assigned to moderately complex projects and assignments with an expanded scope. You will plan, organize and integrate complete engineering design projects and create design layouts within strict specifications. Typically, you will manage and execute the design and drawing of multiple projects in various stages of design and construction simultaneously, meeting established deadlines for each project assigned.
You will support multiple projects at different stages. Typically, you will work on smaller station projects independently and may assist the senior designer on complex projects. While you may work on Clean Energy owned stations, you will primarily work customer projects -- contracts for on-site CNG stations. In time, you may also work on an LNG or combination fueling station. Additionally, you will support the Technical Sales team by creating renderings per client specifications in order to help close new business.
As part of your responsibilities, you may:
- Review rough sketches, drawings specifications and other engineering data received from sales engineers and project managers to create conceptual drawings for new stations.
- Transform initial conceptual drawings into construction documents by analyzing the boundary and topo survey to ensure conceptual plans will work as designed. This also requires the ability to understand all aspects if the project will be impacted by this design and come up with solutions to any challenges a site present. Research and apply code requirements as required to solve design challenges.
- Generate construction drawings with all critical dimensions qualified contractors will leverage to build. You will also include all information required to meet local, state and federal regulations to obtain approval by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
- Prepare drawings and exhibits to accompany applications for various land use and entitlements approvals as required by the Planning Department.
- Develop the station design plans, calculations and reports as related to civil, mechanical (P&ID), electrical, structural and geotechnical engineering.
- Formulate plans, designs, bill of materials, and specifications for the construction or modernization of fueling stations and/or prepare and conduct presentations.
- Perform quantity take-offs for estimating purposes and provide support to construction in project estimating.
- Determine the feasibility of modifying existing station design layout considering costs, available space, time limitations, planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Conduct a quality assurance / quality control (QA/QC) of all documents and reports, verifying accuracy of data, information, and calculations.
- Prepare code analysis and plan check responses to the Authority Having Jurisdiction in favor of proposed projects.
Pictured: Clean Energy is building America's Natural Gas Highway, a coast-to-coast infrastructure to deliver CNG, LNG RNG to an expanding customer base. The majority of your work will support the building of customer-owned CNG stations.
More Good ReasonsImpact and opportunity
You will find there are plenty of opportunities for growth and expansion as the company continues on its strong growth path. Prove yourself a star in this highly visible role and your efforts won't go unnoticed. We take pride in helping our team members take their careers to the next level, learn new skills and develop professionally.
Green standard for sustainability
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. But did you also know that natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions? Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
Proven strong leadership
You will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987.
Clean Energy has the right solutions at the right time, as more and more organizations are exploring alternative fuel vehicles and solutions. For instance, we recently entered into an agreement with UPS to provide them with 170 million gallon equivalents of Redeem renewable natural gas (RNG) through 2026. Clean Energy's Redeem is the world’s first renewable fuel made entirely from organic waste for commercial vehicles, and this partnership with UPS will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by more than 1 million metric tons.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary performance-based bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with discretionary company match, paid time off and more.