The RequirementsWhile you have several accounts to get you started, we're really looking for a rainmaker -- a strong hunter who will fully develop the territory. To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in business-to-business sales, preferably with solutions sales emphasizing value over price. We will also consider a driven and passionate sales professional with proven success, but less experience.
- Experience in transportation, such as truck dealerships or leasing, and/or alternative fuels is a plus, but not required
- Strong technical savvy and the ability to grasp technology solutions and discuss them articulately with customers; technical sales experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong entrepreneurial drive as well as exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to develop rapport and long-term relationships with customers.
- Familiarity with the Southern California territory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint, familiarity with CRM systems is preferred.
- A good head for numbers.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical reasoning skills.
- A valid drivers license, proof of insurance and good driving record.
Graphic: Clean Energy is a leader in renewable natural gas (RNG) solutions. Redeem is the world’s first renewable fuel made entirely from organic waste for commercial vehicles. This biomethane fuel is cost-efficient and up to 70% cleaner than gasoline and diesel, making it a smart choice for natural gas vehicle fleets including heavy-duty trucks.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Vice President of Sales, you will employ a targeted marketing approach to grow the sales of natural gas to a variety of fleet customers, including existing clients and new accounts. Target customers typically include regional and local fleet operators with anywhere from 20 to 400 vehicles. You will work closely with your supervisor and other members of the sales team to gain insight into the industry, learn the technology, and hone your sales skills.
This is a highly consultative sale, and you'll learn to explain compressed natural gas (CNG), liquid natural gas (LNG) and renewable natural gas (RNG) technologies to your customers. Far from being a simple commodity sale, you'll be persuading customers to make a significant capital investment, including converting their vehicles from traditional fuels to natural gas. You'll leverage our ZeroNow program and other offerings to help you land and close business.
More specifically, you will:
- Seek out and research prospective customers through making phone calls, traveling, attending conferences, and utilizing the Internet.
- Compile lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads based on information from newspapers, business directories, industry ads, trade shows, Web sites and other sources.
- Manage and grow relationships with various prospects, clients, and partners in the natural gas fuel industry.
- Establish and develop relationships with local decision-makers (e.g. city council members, fleet managers, public works directors, etc.).
- Educate the economic and health benefits of natural gas vehicles to local communities, city councils and trade associations.
- Market to new and existing customers through creation, development, and implementation of various business solutions.
- Coordinate the planning of marketing promotions, including advertising and special sales.
- Travel throughout your territory to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit orders, or communicate with customers by phone or email.
- Estimate demand for proposed projects based on market research and consumer trends.
- Develop and deliver presentations on Clean Energy services to small, medium and large groups.
- Develop proposals for prospects.
- Review and understand station contracts and fueling agreements.
- Provide input to the management team on new product or service features to be developed to meet current and future customer needs.
- Work closely with the Engineering department on the development of assigned projects and with the Operations department on station operations and performance.
- Keep account activities and literature up to date.
More Good ReasonsLong-term career options
We're looking for a professional with the runway to move up, particularly as our business grows. Once you've "earned your stripes" in this role you might set your sights on an expanded territory or a sales management position.
If you're the person we're looking for, you are excited to learn about our technologies. In addition, you'll gain a broad understanding of this emerging industry and our business model. We'll also help you hone the skills you need to succeed in this role and beyond, including sales and conflict management techniques, customer service, conversion financing, cost control and proposal writing.
Compelling value proposition
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. Clean Energy helps companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals. But natural gas fuel is cheaper, domestically abundant, and it works. And using natural gas reduces America's dependence on foreign oil.
Proven strong leadership
You'll join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987.
Green standard for sustainability
Unlike other fossil fuels, natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions. Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
In addition to a competitive salary and commission, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, such as a discretionary match on our 401(k) plan, paid time off and more.
Keys to SuccessOur sales organization is divided into teams that focus on different verticals, including national trucking (the big rig operators), the refuse / waste industry, and the transit sector (buses, etc.). The demographic you'll target will be from a variety of industries, but in most cases you'll work with businesses that have been in the family for a couple of generations and owners who work with vendors they trust. You'll need to be able to establish rapport quickly, then build on it through a sales cycle that is typically 90 days and longer.
We'll teach you the technology, of course, but you should be the kind of person who is motivated to go beyond that and learn on your own. You'll need strong self-motivation, the discipline to get out there each and every day, and the resilience to stay upbeat even after hearing "no" a few times. To shine, you will have a "hunter" mentality combined with strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative approach and the ability to influence others.
About UsTaking the Lead in Clean-air Transportation
Clean Energy has a broad customer base in the solid waste, transit, ports, shuttle, taxi, trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets. We have the most experience in inventing and manufacturing today's natural gas technologies. We develop, manufacture, supply, install and service the equipment at natural gas stations across North America.
Clean Energy owns and operates LNG plants and renewable processing facilities, producing CNG, LNG and Redeem renewable natural gas (RNG) fuels for our own stations and our clients' stations. Our network of over 550 LNG and CNG fueling stations ensures that fleets are powered for both short routes across town, and long hauls across North America. Our stations fuel vehicles at 37+ major airports; and our strategically located truck-friendly CNG and LNG fueling stations, the network we call America's Natural Gas Highway™, are designed to keep heavy duty fleets fueled up and on the road.
The Clean Energy vision extends beyond servicing the high fuel-use requirements of fleet operators. We are committed to helping businesses access the measurable advantages of clean-fuel solutions. Simultaneously, we are committed to protecting our environment as the leader in clean-air transportation. Clean Energy has proven that business and environmental goals can indeed find common ground, with mutually profitable results. Our vision and efforts have received recognition and awards from business and environmental organizations alike.