More InsightsYour Background
To meet the basic qualification for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Payroll Specialist opportunity, you also should have:
- A High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5+ years of related payroll experience and/or training.
- Experience within a large or mid-level public company in multiple states preferred.
- Experience with prevailing wage determinations is required.
- Experience with certified payroll reports is highly desirable.
- Solid computer skills, including:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including mid-level Excel skill (VLOOKUP, comparing files, etc.).
- Experience with web-based payroll systems (preferably including UltiPro), and report applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- An analytical mindset and the ability to look at an issue and provide new and innovative solutions.
- A proactive approach.
- Patience and the ability to stay calm under pressure and high-stress situations.
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Write simple correspondence.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, as Payroll Specialist for Clean Energy Fuels, you will be responsible for the following key functions:
- Performing all phases of the payroll processing cycle using web based payroll systems
- Compiling payroll data and running reports
- Maintaining payroll records
You’ll also conduct audits, run reports, handle questions related to our timekeeping system, and much more.
Your potential duties and responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following. You will:
- Prepare and analyze biweekly payroll and payroll reports utilizing the web-based payroll system.
- Maintain reporting for executive team and managers as requested.
- Review and analyze biweekly and quarterly tax filings and year-end W-2's and adjust as necessary.
- Maintain tracking of company vehicle use for personal usage and compressed natural gas (CNG) provided to employees for W-2 reporting.
- Perform research on payroll related issues, including but not limited to tax withholding, overtime, 401(k) deferrals, loans, Leave of Absences (LOA's), garnishments and COBRA for various states.
- Assist with annual audits; quarterly reviews and month end closing projects as needed.
- Design and provide various management reporting for the business units (W/C reporting, overtime hours, 401K audit, etc.).
- Validate processing of 401(k) deferrals and loan payments to Fidelity.
- Identify and evaluate home/work locations and the need to report hours worked in various states/jurisdictions (multi-state reporting).
- Assist in preparing audit materials for Internal and External audit controls.
- Serve as liaison between payroll and systems to ensure documentation of system functions and capabilities and to facilitate training of payroll staff and various stakeholders of the timekeeping systems.
- Perform prevailing wage research and payments to produce certified payroll reports.
- File and archive documents.
- Manage other duties as assigned.
Pictured above: Clean Energy is building America's Natural Gas Highway, a network of CNG and LNG fueling stations connecting coast to coast and border to border. Below, the proposals you develop typically will include 24/7 onsite response, remote monitoring, and customer service.
More Good ReasonsHigh-level impact
Your role is to ensure that our employees are paid accurately and on-time, so your activities will be noticed throughout the company. Plus, you can feel pride knowing you've made a difference.
If you're the person we're looking for, you take strong satisfaction from your everyday work. This team is small, close-knit and takes pride in the fact that we compliment one another in our knowledge and work ethic.
History shows that our ongoing growth and evolution creates opportunities for proven strong performers. Success in this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities within Payroll or move into other areas of Finance.
Ours is a unique and growing market niche providing ample opportunities. In fact, if the pursuit of knowledge excites you, you're going to love Clean Energy. There is a lot to learn and in a continually evolving industry, there will always be plenty to learn.
Green standard for sustainability
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. But did you also know that natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions? Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
Proven strong leadership
You will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), the predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens. Mr. Littlefair was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus opportunities, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with discretionary company match, paid time off and more.
Video: Over the past two decades, the refuse industry has been innovating fleets both big & small with Clean Energy natural gas, leading the way to countless benefits for communities. This is just one of the ways Clean Energy has impacted U.S. fleets. Pictured: Clean Energy is building America's Natural Gas Highway, a coast-to-coast infrastructure to deliver CNG, LNG RNG to an expanding customer base.