The RequirementsTo meet the basic requirements for this role you must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the opportunity of Sales Engineer, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in a technical field such as Engineering, Industrial Technology, or Construction Technology.
- Experience selling or providing technical / engineering sales support, ideally with heavy industrial applications (e.g. gas compressors -- natural gas, air, nitrogen, helium, etc., pneumatics, pumps, filters, storage tanks, etc.).
- Strong mechanical aptitude and familiarity with aspects of mechanical, civil and electrical engineering.
- The ability to support the RFP process, read technical specifications and develop technical write-ups for proposals.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office applications, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience with MS Project is a plus.
- The ability to read drawings and schematics, as well as the ability to create sketches in a program like AutoCAD, MS Publisher or similar.
- A valid driver's license and insurable driving record.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work with prospects and customers at all levels from smaller "mom-and-pop" shop owners to CEOs of large corporations.
- Willingness and ability to learn new processes, tools, and methods quickly.
- Solid analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivation with the ability to achieve goals and solve problems independently.
- Good multi-tasking skills to keep multiple projects running simultaneously.
The RoleAt Clean Energy, we are constantly expanding our large pipeline of fueling station engineering and construction projects in order to support our mission to build a natural gas infrastructure across North America. Station projects will range from private facilities sited at customer locations to public-use facilities. The projects involve installing rebar, pouring concrete, installing underground piping as well as above ground compressors and storage vessels, constructing canopies, installing high voltage wiring and more. But before we can break ground, we need to close the deal and ensure the fine details are all in place.
As Sales Engineer, you will support the sale of customer-owned fueling stations throughout the Central U.S. You will partner with members of our Sales Group and provide technical expertise to inform customers and help close deals. Often this will involve differentiating Clean Energy's technology and approach from that of competitors. While you won't be responsible for closing the business yourself, you will leverage your outgoing sales persona to effectively promote the company and our products throughout the sales cycle.
More specifically, you will provide front-end technical support for the Sales and Engineering Teams, including:
- Accompanying Sales on presentations to answer technical questions.
- Providing input on station design (including the location of equipment, where and how vehicles will be fueled, confirming that utilities meet the needs of the application, etc).
- Sizing and specifying equipment to ensure it meets the customer's fleet needs, and then helping procure the equipment. Equipment at these sites includes everything from compressors to fuel delivery systems to point-of-sale terminals.
- Reviewing drawings executed by Engineering to ensure they meet the customer specifications.
- Supporting the RFP process, including reading technical specifications and developing descriptions.
- Responding to questions via phone, email, and from the Sales Team.
- Facilitating handoff from Sales to Engineering to turn the project quote into a reality, including kickoff meetings and ensuring the correct information travels from one team to the other
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: the solid waste and environmental services industries are "early adopters" of natural gas vehicles because natural gas is cheaper, cleaner, domestically abundant, and it works.
Why Clean Energy FuelsProfessional development
Even if you have extensive experience with liquid natural gas compressors, we're fairly certain you'll add new knowledge and experience to your resume; we are in a new space involving materials, processes and technologies that even construction industry veterans haven't worked with before.
Clean Energy is a fast-growing company, and we are in the process of expanding our available positions in many areas. For highly motivated employees, there are many opportunities for career advancement either within or outside of their current areas.
Independence and variety
This is a role where you'll often work virtually from your home office and enjoy a good deal of independence in planning many of your days. You'll have variety in the projects and in the people with whom you'll work...from job sites to the boardroom and from interacting with maintenance personnel to CEOs, no two days will be exactly the same.
Proven strong leadership
You will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), the predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987. Our executive team's profiles can be viewed at CleanEnergyFuels.com.
Green standard for sustainability
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. But did you also know that natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions? Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
In addition to a competitive salary and performance-based annual bonus, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with discretionary company match, paid time off and more.
Pictured: You will play an important role in our efforts to build out America's Natural Gas Highway, supporting fleets from coast to coast and border to border.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will need the technical background to support the Sales in order to meet customers' needs, and professional credibility to answer questions in a way that instills trust and confidence. You should be a self-motivated and independent individual who enjoys the flexibility to manage your own schedule. While you will need to know when to call on outside support from your supervisor or the group to solve issues, you should have the mechanical ability and deep understanding of the technology so that you will remain primarily self-sufficient.
You should be comfortable interacting with people at all levels, from maintenance technicians to board-room executives, and you'll need a knack for communicating highly technical information effectively to non-technical audiences. Additionally, you'll need to be highly organized, effectively managing multiple activities with competing priorities and deadlines.
Our best sales engineers enjoy the sales process and take pride in facilitating the close, even if they aren't closing the deals themselves. Often, it's the sales engineer that provides customers with the last data needed to facilitate a decision.
About Clean Energy FuelsTaking the Lead in Clean-air Transportation
Clean Energy has a broad customer base in the solid waste, transit, ports, shuttle, taxi, trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets. We have the most experience in inventing and manufacturing today's natural gas technologies. We develop, manufacture, supply, install and service the equipment at natural gas stations across North America.
Clean Energy owns and operates LNG plants and renewable processing facilities, producing CNG, LNG and Redeem renewable natural gas (RNG) fuels for our own stations and our clients' stations. Our network of over 550 LNG and CNG fueling stations ensures that fleets are powered for both short routes across town, and long hauls across North America. Our stations fuel vehicles at 37+ major airports; and our strategically located truck-friendly CNG and LNG fueling stations, the network we call America's Natural Gas Highway™, are designed to keep heavy duty fleets fueled up and on the road.
The Clean Energy vision extends beyond servicing the high fuel-use requirements of fleet operators. We are committed to helping businesses access the measurable advantages of clean-fuel solutions. Simultaneously, we are committed to protecting our environment as the leader in clean-air transportation. Clean Energy has proven that business and environmental goals can indeed find common ground, with mutually profitable results. Our vision and efforts have received recognition and awards from business and environmental organizations alike.