The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
- A bachelor's degree.
- At least 7 years of HR related experience and/or training, including 2+ years of human resources management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad human resources experience, including particular expertise in employee relations, recruitment, and training.
- Strong computer skills including intermediate ability with MS Office Suite applications, (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and solid experience with HRIS systems, Ultimate software is highly preferred; advanced Internet research skills.
- Knowledge of labor laws in and outside of California.
- Experience with a diverse employee group dispersed nationally.
- Experience managing relations with third-party vendors.
- Ability to work cross-functionally to achieve goals and meet compliance and other requirements.
- Bilingual English / Spanish preferred.
- Experience working in a manufacturing or energy environment is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong work ethic and commitment to quality.
- The ability to work independently and as a strong team member.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work independently, but also as a strong team member.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, as Manager, Human Resources, you will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the organization by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and policies, programs and practices. You will advise, influence and guide management on human capital strategies, focusing primarily on three key areas: employee relations, recruiting and training. Additionally, you will support the HR team by serving as a strong partner and working outside of your job description as needed.
Daily, you will manage and balance your responsibilities, effectively prioritizing as demand in the various areas ebbs and flows. For example, in the same week, you could be interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems, and more. More specifically, in performing your role, you will:
- Identify and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensure policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance including upkeep of the employee handbook.
- Provide guidance and support to management on issues involving performance management and compliance with internal policies, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws.
- Investigate and resolve human resources and employee relations issues including sexual harassment, workplace violence, discrimination, wage and hour, work rules, performance, attendance, and leaves of absence. Advise management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Manage the recruiting functions to fill vacant positions and develop recruitment strategies and tools to ensure selection of best candidates. Oversee the pre-employment process and new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward company goals.
- Maintain records of personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Oversee company training programs including management training, sexual harassment prevention, and new hire orientation training programs.
- Develop performance management strategies to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization.
- Manage and track human resources operations expenses and invoices.
- Oversee the preparation of employee separation notices and related documentation, and conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations. Make recommendations to reduce turnover and enhance employee engagement.
- Prepare reports and recommend procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover.
- Respond to notifications from state agency regarding unemployment claims filed by former employees.
- Represent the organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
More Good ReasonsAutonomy and support
We'll give you the elbow room you need to succeed, but you'll also have support from strong HR leaders and a top-notch team when you need it. In fact, we all support one another and cross-train to do so. You're bound to add new skills and knowledge to your already well-developed skill-set.
Exposure is greater at Clean Energy because of our straight line approach to management. We maintain a hands-on, open door policy from the CEO down, and partnering/collaboration is the norm throughout the organization. We value transparency, and because HR touches every area, you will learn and gain valuable insight.
Clean Energy has the right solutions at the right time, as more and more organizations are exploring alternative fuel vehicles and solutions. For instance, in November 2017 Clean Energy won a contract with Dallas Fort Worth International to provide the airport's fleets with Redeem™ renewable natural gas. Redeem is the first renewable and commercially available vehicle fuel made entirely from 100% organic waste. The use of RNG has the potential to reduce DFW fleet emissions by approximately 70%.
Compelling value proposition
You probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. Clean Energy helps companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals. But natural gas fuel is cheaper, domestically abundant, and it works. And using natural gas reduces America's dependence on foreign oil. You can feel proud knowing your efforts support
Proven strong leadership
You will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with discretionary company match, paid time off and more.
Pictured: Clean Energy maintains two liquid natural gas (LNG) production and storage facilities, as well as a fleet of specialize trucks to deliver fuel around the country. Shown here is the California Plant, which was built to produce up to 160,000 gallons of LNG per day, and was designed to be upgraded to produce up to 240,000 gallons of LNG per day. The plant has a 1.5-million-gallon LNG storage tank for reserves.
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in this role, you will need to fully embrace all aspects of the position. For example, you will provide hiring managers outstanding service, including a sense of urgency, letting each feel your commitment to meeting their hiring needs. At the same time, you'll balance your other priorities, understanding that recruiting is just one element of your role. With our current level of hiring, you'll average about ten open requisitions at a time, so the balancing act is not unreasonable.
As with all employee relations focused HR roles, you need to walk that fine line between supporting business objectives and promoting employee satisfaction and retention. To excel in the role, you will inspire trust and confidence so that employees are comfortable approaching you and so that leadership knows you understand and support the big picture. You will be proactive about building relationships and leverage your influencing skills to drive improvements.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Manager, Human Resources, you will:
- Remain willing to roll up your sleeves to achieve goals.
- Remain flexible and deal effectively with ambiguity as we continue to grow and evolve.
- Effectively manage multiple activities and changing priorities.
- Combine an analytical approach with creativity in solving problems.
- Keep close tabs on the details but also grasp the bigger picture.
- Maintain the drive to continue to learn and advance your skills even as you serve as an SME.
About Clean EnergyTaking the Lead in Clean-air Transportation
Clean Energy has a broad customer base in the solid waste, transit, ports, shuttle, taxi, trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets. We have the most experience in inventing and manufacturing today's natural gas technologies. We develop, manufacture, supply, install and service the equipment at natural gas stations across North America.
Clean Energy owns and operates LNG plants and renewable processing facilities, producing CNG, LNG and Redeem (RNG) fuels for our own stations and our clients' stations. Our network of over 550 LNG and CNG fueling stations ensures fleets are powered for both short routes across town and long hauls across North America. Our stations are fueling service vehicles at 37+ major airports, and our strategically located truck-friendly CNG and LNG fueling stations, the network we call America's Natural Gas Highway™, are designed to keep heavy duty fleets fueled up and on the road.
The Clean Energy vision extends beyond servicing the high fuel-use requirements of fleet operators. We are committed to helping businesses access the measurable advantages of clean-fuel solutions. Simultaneously, we are committed to protecting our environment as the leader in clean-air transportation. Clean Energy has proven that business and environmental goals can indeed find common ground, with mutually profitable results. Our vision and efforts have received recognition and awards from business and environmental organizations alike.