The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree required, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Business, with an emphasis on Finance or Accounting
- 2 to 5 years of experience in reporting, consolidation, month-end close process and financial analysis, preferably in a construction, industrial or manufacturing environment
- Solid understanding of accounting principles and concepts
- Strong knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, variance analysis and financial modeling
- Exceptional analytical skills and the ability to understand the impact of operations on our financial results
- Expert Microsoft Office Excel skills and the ability to work comfortably with other MS Office Suite programs
- Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP software experience is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish strong relationships with others within and outside of the organization
- The skill to handle multiple priorities and to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- The ability to manage multiple projects and the tenacity to bring issues/projects to closure
- A self-starter approach and a results orientation
- The ability to take initiative and work independently and as a team member
The RoleWe have a large (and growing) pipeline of fueling station projects in various stages of engineering and construction all over North America. These projects range from large multi-use stations to facilities sited at customer locations to support fleets. It is our goal to have a CNG or LNG station every 250-300 highway miles. We're currently building 150-300 stations per year and that number will grow. This role will manage the fiscal analysis, project to project, to support that growth.
You will report to the Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis, coordinate with Accounting for month end and other deadlines, help create and review a monthly package for leadership, and effectively manage budgets for individual projects and as a whole. You will act as the key liaison between the Construction, Operations and Engineering departments and Finance/Accounting, and work directly with project managers to get organized and analyze costs in a timely manner. You will gather required documentation and information, break out the ramp up and purely onsite costs, work on progress billings, workforce allocation, reports and more.
Additionally, you will:
- Assist in developing department budgets, analyzing monthly department spending and understand spending trends
- Prepare monthly reports and variance analysis for management review; participate in short- and long-range financial planning and forecasting; and prepare ad-hoc financial analyses and reports
- Identify, understand and assist in the resolution of accounting and reporting issues that arise during the month-end closing
- Create, maintain, and update monthly reporting template, and prepare monthly financial information binder for senior management
- Assist in preparing internal management reports for monthly, quarterly and yearly financial results, and prepare commentaries for senior management
- Assist in preparing monthly variances analysis of actual to budgets results for monthly deliverables to senior management
- Understand the internal legacy computer systems in order to retrieve historical data, including downloading data into Excel or other applications
- Assist in preparing budgets and forecasts, including monthly/quarterly forecasts, mid-year forecasts, and annual budgets
- Ensure financial processes and reports meet corporate and industry guidelines
- Support the implementation of financial reporting and planning systems
- Assist in the preparation of monthly statement of cash flows, other financial reports, and presentations for management and the board of directors
Why Clean EnergyCareer growth -- ours is a hot industry and we've established ourselves as a clear leader. We're creating growth both organically and through acquisitions as we're building America's Natural Gas Highway (map pictured). Growth equals opportunity and success in this role could lead to a senior analyst position and beyond.
Green standard for sustainability -- you probably already knew that natural gas burns much more cleanly than gasoline and diesel, producing significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. But did you also know that natural gas is increasingly renewable, using biomethane reclaimed from landfill via waste-to-energy solutions? Clean Energy is helping companies and public organizations meet aggressive environmental goals.
Proven strong leadership -- you will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at NorthStar and Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens. Mr. Littlefair was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987. Our executive team's profiles can be viewed at CleanEnergyFuels.com.
Solid growth -- Clean Energy has the right solutions at the right time, as more and more organizations are exploring alternative fuel vehicles and solutions. For example, earlier in 2013 our subsidiary IMW announced an agreement to provide natural gas compressors for the construction of more than 300 compressed natural gas stations in China. Clean Energy also secured its largest single order and deployment of medium-duty CNG trucks for delivery services, from Fox Transportation. And the momentum continues to build.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and incentive bonus program, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, such as a discretionary match on our 401(k) plan -- in four of the last five years the company has matched 50% of the employee's annual contribution.
Keys to SuccessUpon joining us, you’ll find that there is a lot to learn. You’ll have to learn the business (e.g. building projects for CNG and LNG stations, each individual site, other CE businesses, etc.), understand our systems, the various financial structures of different stations, a multitude of players and much more. You’ll also need strong accounting knowledge to be able to perform your job. While Accounting will handle ledger entries, you’ll need to understand accounting data before you’ll be able to bring issues to the forefront, analyze reports or provide departmental support (e.g. P&L, accrual, expensing, etc.).
To find success in this position you should be self-driven, motivated, a strong multi-tasker and take ownership of your responsibilities, while still remaining effective in a team-oriented environment. It will be important to create strong relationships with Accounting, Engineering and other departments, as well as with other Clean Energy companies with whom you might work.
You’ll find that ours is a fast-moving and quickly-growing environment where everyone is busy and it can sometimes be difficult to get the information you need in a timely fashion. You should know how to work with construction and engineering personnel, at times have a thick skin, particularly when taking the initiative to locate information and follow-up. Sometimes it will take patience, other times tenacity, but everyone here is invested in our success.
At Clean Energy we maintain a highly professional culture. At the same time, the environment is friendly, team-oriented and hands-on. We're looking for a professional who shares our commitment to quality, has a strong work ethic, and is excited by being part of the effort to improve environmental quality and support America's energy future.
About Clean EnergyTaking the Lead in Clean-air Transportation
Clean Energy has a broad customer base in the solid waste, transit, ports, shuttle, taxi, trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets, fueling more than 30,000 vehicles at hundreds of strategic locations across the United States and Canada.
Clean Energy owns and operates two LNG production plants, one in Willis, TX and one in Boron, CA, with combined capacity of 260,000 LNG gallons per day and designed to expand to 340,000 LNG gallons per day as demand increases. It also owns and operates a landfill gas facility in Dallas, TX that produces renewable methane gas or biomethane for delivery in the nation's gas pipeline network.
The Clean Energy vision extends beyond servicing the high fuel-use requirements of fleet operators. We are committed to helping businesses access the measurable advantages of clean-fuel solutions. Simultaneously, we are committed to protecting our environment as the leader in clean-air transportation. Clean Energy has proven that business and environmental goals can indeed find common ground, with mutually profitable results. Our vision and efforts have received recognition and awards from business and environmental organizations alike.
Basic QualificationsBasic Qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree.
- 2 to 5 years of experience in reporting, consolidation, month-end close process and financial analysis.
- Expert Microsoft Office Excel skills.