The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- At least five years of experience in customer sales and / or operations management.
- At least three years of experience in roles involving direct customer interaction and relationship management.
- Strong knowledge of customer service and customer management.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Technical savvy; experience with equipment or machinery would be a plus, and experience in parts sales would be ideal.
- Computer proficiency, including:
- Familiarity with MS Office applications, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with ERP software such as Microsoft Dynamics AX (which we use), Oracle, JD Edwards, Epicor or SAP.
- Knowledge of email and scheduling applications.
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in Business, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Please note that our offices currently are in Seal Beach, where you will start, but we are planning to move to Newport Beach in mid-2013.
Role OverviewThis is a leadership role within our larger Customer Service organization and, to give you a quick picture, it's a lot like a Service Manager in an automotive dealership, who interacts with customers, develops and maintains relationships with them, and up-sells services and parts.
In this case, however, the customers own natural gas fueling stations for their fleets -- we fuel over 530 fleet customers and 25,000 vehicles at more than 280 strategic locations across the country, with a broad customer base in the refuse, transit (pictured), trucking, shuttle, taxi, airport and municipal fleet markets. The equipment includes compressors, tanks, valves, controls and more.
Your main objectives will include:
- Managing the repairs & maintenance (R&M) contracts for the nationwide field service regions.
- Helping to create a distinct competitive advantage by providing tactical and strategic leadership to both Inside Sales Representatives and Business Development Managers.
- Up-selling service agreements, converting non-contract customers to contract and managing an active funnel of opportunities.
- Monitoring and managing supplies usage for customers, mapping the customer database and partnering with internal Supply Chain and subsidiaries to create enhanced customer solutions.
- Ensuring that all sales and field service associates are fully supported via a highly capable and commercially excellent team that is motivated to quickly respond to internal and external customer needs.
- Sharing your passion and creating an organizational culture of customer focus, integrity, ownership and accountability.
Role SpecificsIn this role you will:
- Resolve customer complaints regarding service.
- Coordinate services with customers, present proposals to customers and provide follow up after service is completed.
- Monitor customer preferences to determine focus of sales efforts.
- Direct and coordinate activities involving sales of services and parts.
- Determine price schedules, service offerings and provide Business Development Managers with service quotes, including RFP completion.
- Review operational records and reports to project sales and determine profitability.
- Direct, coordinate, and review activities in service accounting and recordkeeping, and in receiving and shipping operations.
- Confer or consult with department heads to plan services and to secure information on equipment and customer specifications.
- Advise dealers and distributors on policies and operating procedures to ensure functional effectiveness of business.
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures.
- Represent Clean Energy at trade association meetings to promote products and services.
- Confer with potential customers regarding service needs and advise customers on types of services to purchase.
- Direct clerical staff to keep records of proposals, bid requests, and credit collections, and to maintain current information on tariffs, licenses, and restrictions.
Pictured: Yellow Cab Cooperative, San Francisco's largest taxicab operator, partnered with Clean Energy to place a Clean Energy CNG station on its property to provide operators with easily accessible, 24-hour fueling facilities.
Why Clean EnergyStrategic, visible impact -- you will lead our existing service program to a new level. You'll help retain customers by ensuring high satisfaction and, even more importantly, you'll help drive revenue by gaining a deeper insight into our customers' needs and goals. We have two fueling station models: own and manage (O&M), in which we own the station, like many on America's Natural Gas Highway; and repair & maintain (R&M), in which the customer owns the station and we service and support it. If you are successful in your efforts we may put even more emphasis on promoting the R&M model.
Career development -- as you drive success in our service and sales goals, you will lay the groundwork for strong growth for the company and and strong growth for your career. You will enjoy the entrepreneurial start-up energy of creating a new department, but also have the security, stability and resources of Clean Energy.
Proven strong leadership -- you will join a team of accomplished, seasoned professionals at Clean Energy, led by Andrew Littlefair. Mr. Littlefair served as President of Pickens Fuel Corp (PFC), predecessor company of Clean Energy, which he co-founded in 1997 with Boone Pickens and was Staff Assistant to then President Ronald Reagan in the Office of Presidential Advance from 1983 to 1987. Our executive team's profiles can be viewed at CleanEnergyFuels.com.
Solid growth -- Clean Energy has the right solutions at the right time, as more and more organizations are exploring alternative fuel vehicles and solutions. For instance, in 2009 we opened the world's largest public LNG truck fueling station to serve the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach as well as regional trucking; this facility will help transportation companies comply with the Port of Long Beach's Clean Air Action Plan.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, such as a discretionary match on our 401(k) plan -- in four of the last five years the company has matched 50% of the employee's annual contribution. As we move forward you will help shape a commission structure for your role.
Pictured: Clean Energy is building America's Natural Gas Highway, a coast-to-coast infrastructure to deliver CNG, LNG and RNG to an expanding customer base.
Keys to SuccessYou'll need a strong process orientation as you develop and implement systems and procedures, as well as the leadership skills to influence and motivate people across departmental lines. Pivotal to your success will be your communication skills: our customers have high expectations and you'll not only ensure we live up to those expectations, but you'll also make sure customers are confident in our commitment. You'll need highly developed interpersonal skills that can help you troubleshoot and solve problems cross-functionally, push back when necessary while still maintaining a uniform focus, and gain team and leadership respect.
In order to find success you'll determine what you need and know how to get it. You're the expert so we expect you to own the position, approaching the initiative as a value proposition that will increase our level of service, and you should be as scalable as the systems, handling more and more as we grow. A personality that will fit here will be independent and self-starting, intellectual and analytical, and have a strong service orientation.
About Clean EnergyTaking the Lead in Clean-air Transportation
Clean Energy has a broad customer base in the solid waste, transit, ports, shuttle, taxi, trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets, fueling more than 21,000 vehicles at 224 strategic locations across the United States and Canada.
Clean Energy owns and operates two LNG production plants, one in Willis, TX and one in Boron, CA, with combined capacity of 260,000 LNG gallons per day and designed to expand to 340,000 LNG gallons per day as demand increases. It also owns and operates a landfill gas facility in Dallas, TX that produces renewable methane gas or biomethane for delivery in the nation's gas pipeline network.
The Clean Energy vision extends beyond servicing the high fuel-use requirements of fleet operators. We are committed to helping businesses access the measurable advantages of clean-fuel solutions. Simultaneously, we are committed to protecting our environment as the leader in clean-air transportation. Clean Energy has proven that business and environmental goals can indeed find common ground, with mutually profitable results. Our vision and efforts have received recognition and awards from business and environmental organizations alike.
Pictured: the political climate is ripe for expansion in environmentally friendly fuels, and Clean Energy is in the vanguard of the industry.